"Teaching how to think"BULB

"Teaching how to think"BULB
Powered By Blogger

lunes, 22 de febrero de 2010

(:PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST FROM LITHUANIA :)

The Hill of Crosses is a site of pilgrimage about 12 km north of the city of Šiauliai, in northern Lithuania. The exact origins are unknown, but it is considered that the first crosses were placed on the former Jurgaičiai or Domantai hill fort after the 1831 Uprising. Over the centuries, not only crosses, but giant crucifixes, carvings of Lithuanian patriots, statues of the Virgin Mary and thousands of tiny effigies and rosaries have been brought here by Catholic pilgrims. The number of crosses is unknown, but estimates put it at about 55,000 in 1999 and 100,000 in 2006.




Trakai Island Castle is located in Trakai, Lithuania on an island of Lake Galvė. The castle is sometimes referred to as "Little Marienburg". The construction of the stone castle was begun in the 14th century by Kęstutis, and around 1409 major works were completed by his son Vytautas the Great, who died in this castle in 1430. Trakai was one of the main centers of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the castle held great strategic importance.



The history of the castle is closely connected with the formation of the city. According to the legend found in the Chronicle of Lithuania, the castle on the Castle Hill was founded by Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas, who once had a prophetical dream. In his dream he saw an iron wolf standing on this place and howling like a hundred wolves. The pagan priest Lizdeika interpreted this dream as gods' will. Gediminas should build a castle and a city that would soon become famous and prosperous, and would be unassailable for enemies . Gediminas has constructed the castle and now the castle houses the museum of the history of Lithuania. It was founded in 1960 and is located in the best-preserved western tower of the Upper Castle. One of the exhibitions is dedicated to the history of the castle and displays archeological finds, models of Vilnius at various stages of its development and historical documents. From the top of the tower you can enjoy the marvelous panorama of Vilnius.




Alanta manor house is located only couple of kilometers from Alanta village in the other small village Naujasodis. The road says that you are arriving to the manor house. You will cross small bridge and the beautiful birch avenue. It is impossible to pass this manor house located in the end of the avenue. Alanta manor house buildings are in neoclassicism style. There are main building and some belonging buildings.Manor house have wonderful big park with some bonds.







Golden boy






Sts. Apostales Peter and Paul's CathedralThe building was erected in the Renaissance style, with quite a few features typical of mediaeval architecture. In 1997, the church was granted the status of a cathedral.There are a number of stories telling why the Cathedral was built at this place, and not somewhere else. A legend has it that upon a time a huge ox wandered to Siauliai, lay down to rest, and passed away in its sleep. As the time passed, the wind covered the dead ox with dust and sand, and thus a small hill occurred. It is that hill Sts. & Apostles Peter and Paul's Cathedral stands on today.





St. Anne's Churchis a Roman Catholic church in Vilnius' Old Town, on the right bank of the Vilnia River. It is a prominent example of both Flamboyant Gothic and Brick Gothic styles. The first church at this site, thought to be wooden, was built for Anna, the first wife of Vytautas the Great.
Kernavė was a medieval capital [1] of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and today is a tourist attraction and an archeological site (population 318, 1999). It is located in the Širvintos district municipality located in southeast Lithuania. A Lithuanian state cultural reserve was established in Kernavė in 2003.




The Ninth Fort in Kaunas, Lithuania was originally built as a defensive fortress in the years 1901–1913. During the Nazi occupation, over 50,000 people were executed there, including over 30,000 Jews and over 10,000 foreigners




Kuršių Nerija National Park is one of the five national parks in Lithuania. It was established in 1991 to protect the unique ecosystems of the Curonian Spit and Curonian Lagoon. Kuršių Nerija National Park is protected by the state, under the Lithuanian law of Protected Areas. Since 1997 it is a member of EUROPARC federation. The Park has Category II in the classification of the World Conservation Union .

The Royal Palace of Lithuania was a palace in Vilnius, Lithuania, built in the 15th century for the rulers of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The Royal Palace in the Lower Castle evolved over the years and prospered during the 16th and mid-17th centuries. For four centuries the Palace was the political, administrative and cultural center of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It was demolished in 1801. A new palace has been under construction since 2002 on the site of the original building. The partially completed palace was opened on the 6th of July 2009.


Sculpture "Three Birds"There is a composition of sculptures entitled Three Birds on the lawn in front of Siauliai Hotel. As you walk around the sculptures, one can see them from a different angle. The plastic lines change and create an impression of movement. The birds turn and flap their wings. They are about to spread their powerful wings.



Fountain RudeIts small brown-colored dome symbolizes the rivulet that used to flow here. As the time passed, the rivulet was covered and flowed under the ground along the street that bears its name. The fountain was equipped at the intersection of Vilnius St. and Rudes St. in 1986, when the city was getting ready for its 750th jubilee. It took quite a lot of effort to tame the rapid rivulet, but now we can see a fountain decorated with strange old-style carvings.


Sculpture "Pelicans"A fountain and a sculpture under the same name, Pelicans, were erected in 1978 and reconstructed in 2003. Most passers-by might wonder how such exotic birds as pelicans came to Siauliai. The story is simple: once upon a time, a pair of pelicans failed to keep pace with the flock. They took a wrong direction and headed north instead of south. When flying over Siauliai, they landed to quench their thirst with water from a pool. An evil sorceress turned them into stones.


Sculpture "Three Trolls" When white candles of blossoms light on the chestnut trees standing along the alley named after them, the three trolls come to life and shine with pride. The bearded shorties look serious, but their seriousness radiates kindness, and they remind one of the kindly trolls from Scandinavian myths.




Sculpture "Dawn"A new sculpture entitled Dawn by D.Matulaite was erected quite recently. The idea that was born two decades ago and received quite opposing opinion became a reality in 2003. The sculpture symbolizes the Ausra (Dawn) Movement a political and literary group of Lithuanian intellectuals of the 1880s - 1890s. They used to publish a magazine called Ausra (1883-1886), and the organization was named after it.


Sculpture "A reading man"The sculpture entitled A Reading Man erected in 1983. The man of the old times, who is standing on a cobbled pavement, is not just an ordinary person he can read. Elderly residents of Siauliai may find his silhouette slightly familiar. A Reading Man has come from the old press of Siauliai: the same hand raised his eyeglasses, the same irony. Now it minds of the old times when Siauliai was a major center of press, that it has a few printing shops.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario